View Single Post
Old 02-15-2021, 01:35 AM   #8
Overdriven

Re: D350 with 6bt cummins to 6L90E transmission

Not a trans expert but from what I’ve read about the 6L80/90e they actually aren’t as stout mechanically as a 4L80e. The ability of the 6L80/90e and the newer 10spd to take big power is in the tuning. In stock form the ecm communicates with the computer in the trans constantly working together. The ecm will pull timing, lower boost, close the throttle slightly to reduce power during up shifts to reduce the mechanical load on the trans. Without electronic throttle and the increased torque of a diesel this is a something to consider. I’ve also seen a trans builder complain about the stock torque converters and recommending a billet converter for towing.

There are 1 or 2 aftermarket options for controlling these trans that I’ve seen, haven’t look recently. They are fairly new to market though. One of them I saw you tell them about your engine and they will load a base tune into their controller, doubt they have anything for a diesel. Personally I consider these to still be in the guinea pig phase regardless of engine choice and something to consider before jumping in.