Thread: T-5 swap time
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2021, 10:09 PM   #57
slepysal

Re: T-5 swap time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Nice! You've been through some trying times. Hopefully things will get better for you!
Thanks I appreciate that... gotta make lemonade out of lemons right?

Ok Guys so Let me bring you all up to speed:
After getting the T-5 in I started it up(with no driveshaft) and could not get it to go into reverse with grinding. I assumed the clutch disc had stuck to the pressure plate and thought I could unstick it when I installed the drive shaft. Noticed the carb accelerator pump leaking gas so replaced it.

I asked the driveshaft guy how he wanted me to measure it to get it shortened. He said to bottom out the front yoke pull it out an inch and measure it from the center to center of the yokes. I asked my neighbor to help me out and he holds the tape on the front yoke.. but he pushed the yoke in !!! I got my measurement at 66".

Drop off the driveshaft pick it up two days later. I go to install it and , yup, it's to long!!! Take another measurement and come up with it needing 1 inch more to be cut off. Take it back and they take care of it ( I was expecting to have to pay full pop but they gave be a break ( Thanks South Bay Driveline)

I get the driveline in with no issues( to my surprise) start it up the back wheels are spinning even with the clutch pushed in. Still grinding.
It would go into all 5 gears and reverse with the engine off, but not when it was on. I adjusted the clutch arm push rod and still nothing.

That's when I remember that Capt. Fab had an issue with the Willwood 3/4 clutch master cylinder and the stock 60-62 slave cylinder. I had not had any issues in 8 plus years with mine due to using a non stock set up with my old 3 speed. Another wait
I ordered a 1" bore clutch master cylinder, installed it started it and YES!!!
5 forward and 1 reverse!! Remove the jack stands and took her for a spin around the block huge smile on my face.
I am waiting on a new shifter bushing ,boot, shift knob and carpet kit and a little more adjusting,

You all have been a great source of engorgement and advice THANK YOU ALL !! My wife once asked me "So how long dose a clutch job take" I told her usually a 1/2 day. I didn't think it would take 7 months !! I will post some pics soon

I miss her and am sorry she isn't here to go for a ride with me. I can see her smile at me and ask " I thought you said it would take 1/2 a day"

"Over, Around or through it... "
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote