View Single Post
Old 02-23-2021, 11:35 PM   #39
Myself

Re: Who builds the best 700R4 today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
I 100% disagree with you. The GM book that covers the updates, to the 700R4 transmission, is thicker than the original rebuild manual. The cost to update a pre-87 transmission would be astronomical. No reputational shop would use one especially behind some HP.
Rick
Oh nonsense.....and I'm stating this from experience. I'm not a professional rebuilder but I've done several 700r4's a couple 4l60e's an Infiniti 5 speed auto, a couple C4's, a C6, a couple 200c's, and a handful of TH350's. YES, there were MANY updates and changes through the 700r4's life. But the main differences between early and late are 27 VS 30 spline input shafts which was adressed in early '84.....I don't know anybody that's ever broken one. Stronger ring gear I believe in '85.....again, don't anybody that's broken one, then the auxillary VB and 10 vane pump in '87. As far as extra strength, the input shaft is easily replaced during an overhaul and readily available. The ring gear I personnaly feel like is a non-issue. The pump vanes get upgraded if it's an older unit. Which style VB has nothing to do with overall strength of the trans. The HD sun shell is a MUST in any of them INCLUDING the latest ones......yes, I have seen those break the collar right off. My personal daily driven hotrod had about 65,000 miles on it with MANY MANY 6000rpm 2-3 shifts through the years on an '85 model with the stock 27 spline shaft.

That being said........there are plenty of 87-up versions out there so if you need to buy a core to start with then sure.....buy one of those. But like I said earlier, it's not a deal breaker if you find an old one cheap.
Myself is offline   Reply With Quote