View Single Post
Old 03-01-2021, 04:25 PM   #14
1976gmc20

Re: I never seen any thing this wound up under a car before

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
a former boss called and said he blew up the motor in the shop truck. I drove over to look and it started like normal and idled perfect. he said no it knocks like hell when you drive it. so I drove it, heard the knocking, borrowed a steak knife and cut off the nylon strap that had fallen between the cab and bed and gotten wrapped around the driveshaft.
Few years back my wife headed to town in the little car. She called me from the highway, said it was making a horrible noise as soon as she got on the highway and started picking up speed. I told her turn around and drive real slow back to the parking area at the junction and I would drive down there (10 miles).

I figured a FWD CV axle had gone to pieces. But no, all winter the tires had been rubbing on ice and frozen mud under the fenders and the inside edge of one tread was all ground off. A piece of rubber about 18" long had come loose on one end, and as soon as she got over 30 mph started whapping the inside of the fender. I whacked it off with my pocket knife and had her drive back home. I took it down and got new tires a few days later, after swapping that tire to the back just in case.

Another time long before that, we were going down the canyon in her VW and heard a ticking noise when going around curves, either right or left don't remember which one or the other but not both. So I stopped and there was a nail about 3" long sticking out of one tire and when the car leaned that way on a curve it would hit the fender. I yanked it out and it didn't even leak. The nail was just stuck sideways into the edge of the tread and then bent up.
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote