View Single Post
Old 03-03-2021, 12:01 AM   #1873
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC10 View Post
Nice! That's why it is okay to burn the rubber once in a while. They eventually need to be replaced even if the tread is still all there. lol
Yup. My wife's econobox is coming up on 6 (or 7) years old and needs tires. I mentioned that the truck's tires are almost 5 years old and should be replaced soon. There goes a bunch of money for tires that have maybe 2k miles on them. That got my wife talking about how she wants to go camping in the Sequoias, and that she doesn't trust the engine to get us there. I said that the last time we discussed engine work, she balked at the plain jane rebuild price! Never mind a roller cam, etc., and when I told her that towing up into those mountains might require a turbo, she was almost crying at that expense. I guess we'll only ever cruise the coast of California. OK, the part about the turbo was mean, I guess.

Back story. My wife's father bought this truck in '73, and it has always run hot. They always had to wait for it to cool down after getting gas so that they could continue on their trip(s), because it just wouldn't start when hot. That's how I got it when he died. I worked through the heating issues and they are now under control. I guess she's still stuck on "what used to be" from her youth, as opposed to what it is now.

It doesn't get hot now, and it starts right up after getting gas at a station on a camping trip. But the memories of those problems still linger. Given that if I never went camping again, I'd be OK with it, it's kind of amazing that I go through all this trouble to assure her that the truck is good to go. I must be a masochist.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote