View Single Post
Old 03-03-2021, 04:56 PM   #1
Psyekl

Is the LS Right for my Project?

My project vehicle is a 1967 Chevy Series 60 tilt cab. It originally had an 18-foot flatbed with a liftgate that has since been removed. This is a fairly large truck with a 14,000 GVWR and 42" semi-tires, dual rear wheels on a 2-speed axle. The original engine is a 327 cu in small block mated to a 5 speed manual transmission linked to a 2-speed rear end. Doing my research, I discovered that the largest Gas engine available was a 366 cu in. This particular model was intended for city and farm work. The larger 366 gas and available diesel engines were supposed to manage highway travel.

My plan is to equip this truck with a 16-foot box and convert it into a Recreational Vehicle for cross-country touring. I have no intention of loading it down with heavy cargo other than what an RV would carry, and I do not plan to tow anything. My goal for the engine is to maximize efficiency and reliability while maintaining the power to negotiate hills and other rugged terrain. I don't need a "hot rod" or to consistently exceed 65 mph, but I do plan on dressing it up a bit with mild performance mods and "look pretties" for the occasional car shows I come across.

I'm no expert as far as engine selection, so here I am checking with the gurus and those who potentially know far more than I do on the subject:

I've been looking at an LS swap since it would require the least amount of fabrication, but I don't know if these engines would be adequate for this vehicle, particularly when mated with their accompanied transmissions. In particular I was favoring the 6.0L or 6.2L (L92/LQ4/LQ9?) since I rather liked the idea of the Variable Valve Timing (VVT), and they tend to come mated to a 6L80E transmission that looks to be pretty robust and offers good overdrive.

Any information and advice would definitely be appreciated.

A bit of background on my self: I am confident that I can manage the engine swap. I have spent several years working in a fabrication shop assisting with the construction of hot rods and race cars, including my own. I am experienced with wiring harnesses, fuel systems, EFI systems, and the other basics, but my duties at the shop were basically as a wrench-turner and computer geek/CNC nerd/CAD designer. My knowledge with the actual engines and engine performance requirements is definitely lacking- I know how they work (I can even teach a class on the science)- but I just bolt 'em in and get 'em going. I don't fiddle with the specifics: the customers or my partners always chose the engines.
Attached Images

Psyekl is offline   Reply With Quote