View Single Post
Old 03-03-2021, 06:32 PM   #4800
mick53

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

I have been trying to figure out my water pump pulley. Seldom does anyone make what I need or want. My plan "A" is usually to find out what is close that I can alter to make work. I do my best to avoid plan "B". This is a 8 rib pulley so that doesn't help the choices. I got these from ID Designs in So-cal. They make them there. They provided me with all the mechanical drawings. Nobody else I contacted could even give me the offset. They just wanted the application. When I said blown Chevy 292 1973 they were oddly stumped. Sorry this might get a little long. When BHJ made my custom damper it required a 7.5" pulley to accommodate the design. My high flow water pump likes to live between 500 and 5000 RPM's. So I needed my water pump pulley to be as large as possible with about 6.125" to play with. The first one I bought was 6.375". I thought I could shave it down a little and maybe move the water pump up a little. That was a dumb idea. Moving the water pump up would be a major hassle. So I went through to drawings and called David back. We chose the second one that is 5.90". The second one has the groove delete option so I will have to scratch those in. Both pulleys have the same thickness on the outer ring so strength should not be a problem when I cut the grooves in. I also bought an .800" spacer that might just work as is by pure luck. The folks at ID Designs sent me the second pulley at no charge with a return shipping label for the first one. The second one was about $30 more than the first but no charge even though they gave me a nice discount to start with. These are top quality parts. Thank you for your time I like to give credit where credit is due. Just like Johnny Cash it's one piece at a time.
Attached Images

mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote