View Single Post
Old 03-06-2021, 06:17 PM   #22
kipps

Re: Is the LS Right for my Project?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyekl View Post
OK, a new option just popped up that nobody mentioned:

What about a turbo 4.8L?
I've wondered about that for a towing rig. Instead of chasing after cubic inches like the conventional wisdom would recommend, add boost to a smaller engine. I've done quite a few google searches for "towing with turbo 5.3." It's been proposed quite a few times, but there's very little info from anyone who's actually done a lot of towing with one. There's some question how well the LS platform would handle staying in boost for hours on end. Cooling would definitely need to be up to snuff. One positive comparison, is the Ford ecoboost engines have done very well at this, when using a smaller boosted engine in heavy applications. On the contrary, a lot of small Chevy sedans that have tried tiny boosted engines have not fared well. So I'm not sure how to guarantee a long-lived setup.
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote