View Single Post
Old 03-12-2021, 07:35 PM   #5
Riboflav1n

Re: 1991 Suburban 2500 2wd 350/4L80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJeep View Post
Good story, and looks like a great suburban!

If you're looking for some subdued wheels, Detroit steel may be your best option. There are a ton of aluminum options for 8 lug, but most of them will not look good if you're keeping with a "classic" look. As for lowering it, your main hangup will be getting less than 6" easily. You might look into drop springs, as drop shackles that work for pickups interfere with the gas filler and floor on a suburban.

For keeping it rust free, your best solution is going to be to put it away in late November and then get it back out in March and drive a beater in the winter. That's what I do.

PS, I like the scout!
Thanks, I like the little stable of vehicles you're building.

I don't want to go too low as this is my tow vehicle and I don't want to affect the towing capacity. I've seen 4/6 kits for the R2500 but not sure I can do that and keep the current tires on it.

As soon as the snow fell this last winter I parked it and didn't move it until everything had melted, and even then I washed the underside every time I drove it in case of salt left on the roads. So, I'm probably just going to end up doing what you do. I usually have at least two or three other cars to drive, though sometimes, like now, I have all of my other vehicles in the middle of some project. I have a Mercedes E500 4matic wagon that's usually my winter car, but a u-joint went out on the right front so it's been sitting until I can get around to replacing it.

Last edited by Riboflav1n; 03-13-2021 at 02:39 PM.