View Single Post
Old 03-15-2021, 11:47 AM   #7
Riboflav1n

Re: 1991 Suburban 2500 2wd 350/4L80

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Interesting background story. Great idea to grab a car, clean it up, and sell it when you're done. I tried to do that when I was working out of town, once. 20 years later, and I still have that car. And I've spent multiple times my initial investment, ha. If you want to talk any more specifics about the paint or products, just let me know. I'm no expert, but I'm really happy with the results of paint on a couple of trucks that many others would have considered a repaint to be necessary. Fortunately, trucks look good even with some bumps and bruises. It does appear that your truck may have been repainted with a base coat / clear coat. If that's the case, to get it shiny again, you will need to go over the top of it with a clear coat. I think that green will look fine with a satin finish. To get that, in the regimen I lined out, I would skip the polish step and go from compounding to get rid of dead paint, to a cleaner-wax finish step. If the patches of remaining clear coat stand out as too shiny, you can take 1000 grit sandpaper and knock the shine down before waxing. I'm a huge fan of trying to preserve things and I do a lot of research in that direction. So I'll quit now before I exceed your interest by 10x, haha.
I don't believe it's been repainted, or at least I can't find any evidence of it. I've been considering a process like what you're talking about to restore and protect the original paint. You are definitely not exceeding my interest on this front because I'm very interested in saving the paint and doing my research to that end. I talked to one paint & body shop that does customs about it but they just wanted to paint the whole thing to the tune of $12k - $15k (including body work). I talked to a guy at another paint & body shop who only does collision and he told me I could give it a try, but I should be very careful with the original paint that lost clear coat as it would be pretty easy to sand right through it. I think what I'm going to do is clean the hell out of the paint and choose a test spot, probably on one of the barn doors, to see if I can sand the peeling down on the spots that have lost clear coat, rough it up, then get some clear to stick. I have a compressor and small gravity feed sprayer that I think would be acceptable for the job, but I'm not very experienced in the paint department so I'm just trying to make educated guesses.

Here's a picture of a pretty cool forest service green 'burban that's kind of inspiring to me, though it's 4wd, so in some ways going in the opposite direction. Even so, I'm really tempted to shoot for making the squarebody version of this.
Attached Images

Last edited by Riboflav1n; 03-15-2021 at 02:05 PM.