View Single Post
Old 03-21-2021, 02:39 PM   #670
oem4me

Re: most original 60-66 truck in existence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada51 View Post
Understood on the 17.5's. I'm considering buying a 62 C20 with 17.5's and thought it was unusual as I haven't seen many around, and after spending hours of searching for tires, it explains why I thought they were rare! The 19.5's do look much nicer though!

Thanks for the info on the tires. How do truck tires drive, ie is the steering heavy (vs bias ply) and is it a harsh ride at 110psi? Sorry for the hijack, but I have spent hours looking for tires, so any help appreciated.
The hijack is ok, given this is a viable and factory correct way of getting some appropriate rubber under an old C20. Finding tires may not be as difficult for the 19.5's, but finding the wheels themselves is near impossible. To complicate the search, there are a couple different Chevrolet versions which I call early and late, and then there are some semi-lookalike's which Ford and Dodge used as well.
The Samson 8R 19.5 GL283a's rode well and steered easy due to the skinny contact patch, which I think is invaluable on a heavy truck without power steering. I may be getting older and weaker, but fighting to park with fat tires has always been a B!*@H !
Below is a pic when those same tires/wheels were on my '62. I loved the look!
Attached Images

Last edited by oem4me; 03-21-2021 at 02:49 PM.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote