View Single Post
Old 04-03-2021, 10:44 PM   #23
dieseldawg142

Re: Take the old off or leave it on ,that's my question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdip View Post
Whatever you decide remember...."It only has to outlast you and the wife"... All kidding aside there is nothing wrong with putting new asphalt shingles over 1 previous layer.
actually there is quite a bit of truth to that. many older customers who are either on a fixed income, want to spend their money on grandkids, want to travel, or knew their time was coming and could just not see going all out for something when short of time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
I tore off all the shakes and my dad wheeled them up back and stacked them up.. Lots of wood stove kindling.

I bought a Bostitch air gun tack nailer with the round rolls of tacks and put 4 tacks in per shingle ,,not 3 tacks per shingle like a lot of guys were doing back them who were in the business of roofing .
that's all todays shakes are good for-kindling. look in the back of my truck, brand new re-saw shakes going up in flames keeping me warm. we have tons of these at our shop. shakes now a days are nothing like what we got back in the day. wood quality is not there, hand-splits or re-saws. i've pulled off 5-10 yr old shake roofs that are just wasted, we're into second and third growth trees now. if you can find some good old growth, them blocks are worth a pretty penny. i've been on 100 yr old barns with 40-50 yr old old growth shake roofs on them, you will find the shakes are like a foot and a half wide and when you pull them up, flip them over and they look just like new still.
Name:  IMG_4359 (2).jpg
Views: 212
Size:  50.2 KB

nice job on the roof!
last house i did was my own 5 yrs ago. the place i work we do commercial, industrial and government exclusively, malls, apartments, schools, hi rises, factory's etc. average house is 20-30 squares, we do 4-5-600 sq roofs and bigger.
never really thought to take a before of mine. and ya, there is sq butts (3 tabs) under them grey t-locks. previous owner obviously didn't want to spend so they went over top. got 20 trouble free yrs, and they weren't leaking, but they were gettin' a little thin and wore out, so figured better do it before it starts to leak. the only drawback of going over top is the cost down the road when re-roof time comes up again. now you have twice the disposal and labor costs. my labor was free, but i did pay more for getting rid of 2 old roofs...got a saying in roofing, "the roof is only about 5% of the cost of your house, but it covers 100% of your investment"
before and after
Name:  IMG_0044.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  59.0 KBName:  IMG_4896.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  45.7 KB

this is more the scale i do now, big roofs, where quality is important. another saying we got in the roofing trade is "do it right, water has very narrow shoulders"
and we been using 5 nails on laminates since the '80's, up to 9 nails on Presidential shake/shingles-all comes back to quality and what the customer can afford...a re-roof is not cheap...
Name:  IMG_5764.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  47.5 KBName:  IMG_5766.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  48.5 KB
dieseldawg142 is offline   Reply With Quote