View Single Post
Old 04-07-2021, 06:20 PM   #20
ray_mcavoy

Re: Oil Pressure Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
That was with the resistor on the back of the gauge still on it, no nuts or connectors. From one stud to the other. I couldn't figure out how to remove it (the resistor) as it didnt come out easily and I figured I would crack it if I tried to pry on it.
Okay, the removal of the nuts electrically disconnects the resistor from the gauge. So in that situation you were measuring the resistance of one of the coils inside the gauge.

The resistor normally just lifts off after the nuts are removed, but I think you made the right choice of not prying on it with it being stuck.

Now that you have things cleaned & re-assembled, try taking another resistance measurement between the two studs (with the wires unplugged). If your resistor is good and making good electrical contact, you should now get a reading in the 40-someΩ range (resistance of the meter coil 81.4/5Ω in parallel with the resistor that should also be in the 80-someΩ range). Rtotal = 1 / ((1/R1) + (1/R2)) where R1 and R2 are the meter coil & calibration resistor.

But if you still get that same 81.4/5Ω reading, that would indicate a problem with the resistor (bad or still not making good contact).
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote