View Single Post
Old 04-15-2021, 04:35 PM   #18
Chevy nutcase

Re: Are these trucks worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Tom View Post
As you're in the heart of the land of rust, to me, you have a couple choices:
  1. if purchasing locally or nearby, and doesn't appear to be a bucket of rust, I'd certainly want restoration photos so you're not buying a bucket of rust that was covered in filler then painted (while a magnet does help some in these cases, it doesn't catch everything; OR

2. look for a relatively original paint truck from the Southwest or West Coast. This way you know exactly what you're getting and how many repairs you need to make, if any.

In any event, that's what I'd do.
Yes finding 50 year old vehicles in relatively repairable condition while difficult isn't impossible however in a semi depressed area people selling decent cars with little rust instantly think they have a million dollar sale. I looked at a 72 longbed recently that had a fairly good body. Cab corners were spray foam an bondo and the rockers were going to need attention. The bed was beautiful and the floors were semi solid. The paint was spray can and the interior looks to have been painted with a brush. The truck was lowered by someone heating the coils to collapse giving about 1" of suspension travel. He wanted 8500. I didn't think it was worth that
Chevy nutcase is offline   Reply With Quote