View Single Post
Old 04-22-2021, 09:39 AM   #1
epfatboy

Just double checking....

So I have a intermittent problem starting my C10. The truck is ls swapped and has a 4L80E behind it.

The problem is every now and again I turn the key and I get a click, which I believe is coming from the starter solenoid. I typically get a few clicks out of it and then she turns over and starts. After that I can then stop/start the truck a few time in a row and it fires up no problem. This will happen when the engine is cold, warm, or hot.

I have also noticed that occasionally the starter drags, almost like it's a low battery charge kind of drag. This will happen either after the noid clicks a few times before starting AND when I turn the key to start it for the first time. At first I thought battery or connection but I had the battery tested and it's good and I have gone thru the connection points and cleaned/tightened all of them like twice.

I'm starting to think this is the solenoid, the starter is a new/rebuild unit. Is there a test I can run to confirm if the starter noid is the culprit here?

Could the problem be elsewhere, like the ignition switch or neutral safety? Not sure if this is really where it's at given the distinctive CLICK from the starter noid but perhaps there is a intermittent weak trigger voltage? Would that cause the noid not to engage properly? Is there another relay in here somewhere with these trucks? Oh I should mention the streeting column is out of an '86 and the shifter/neutral saftey is on the floor.

Fortunately I have yet to be stranded but the frequency appears to be on the rise so I thought I'd start the process! I guess I should mention there were 0 symptoms before the winter hit, when I pulled her out in the spring I immediately noticed the starter dragging which is why I chased the battery and connections but since they the symtoms continue to get worse.

FYI, I have dealt with starter noids getting way to hot/fired alot, this one isn't seeing alot of heat but I enclosed a pic for your assessment!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Jiqe31FpyEyESCECA
The truck has a small turbo and the exhaust is wrapped, plus I think there is a fair bit of room there! I have 0 problem running a remote noid if needed but I really don't think heat killed this noid if in fact it's the noid that is junk.
epfatboy is offline   Reply With Quote