View Single Post
Old 04-23-2021, 10:13 PM   #15
DetroitIron

Re: New starter jammed and blew something ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pound41 View Post
When we first started working on the 76 stepside. Its my Dad's truck who passed away. So it had been sitting. We had no lights power nothing. We worried about a chewed wire or something. Checked fuseable link, cleaned it etc. I thought the wire going from the starter to the junction box was broken. it wasn't. Since I had no power the starter was the last place I was looking. I finally checked the positive cable thinking it was bad. When I knew it was hot. I changed the starter from another truck and it started right up. Then I got the new carequest and put on it and it broke. I am have 71/72 blazers Positive to the starter positive lead to the junction box. Not running power to the starter and then feeding to the junction box. We chased wires for a while before we replaced the starter. Not much help to you I know but I wouldn't have thought a whole truck would have no power then you change the starter and everything works.
Very interesting. Thank you..I am going to return the starter and try a new one tomorrow thank you for the idea...maybe bench testing with no real world load of turning the engine over is different than being bolted in and trying to turn the sbc over...maybe something got cooked due to not being shimmed properly when it jammed into the flywheel and I kept trying to get it to crank. Lessons learned if that ends up being the solution

1985 Chevy Scottsdale K20 350 with 700R4 running 3.42 gearing aka "The Honey Badger"
1993 Silverado C3500 Ext. Cab Dually 6.5 turbo diesel
DetroitIron is offline   Reply With Quote