View Single Post
Old 05-02-2021, 10:39 PM   #33
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Ignition switch failures.

Okay I got some time to dig deeper into amperage loads. I checked the fan amperage at the firewall, at the fan speed switch, and at the ignition switch. The results were that on my truck the fan amp draw is about 5 to 6 amps constant and never more than 8.5 amps on fan start up.
I looked into what a starter solenoid should draw and I found some GM documentation that said that solenoid pull in amps should be 42 to 48 amps and the maintaining circuit amp are 7 to 8 amps. My pull in amps are less than 10 and the maintaining circuit is about 4 amps. I have a later model GM gear drive starter which appears to draw less amperage to operate the solenoid.
Nowhere in the system have I found any component that is drawing amperage that is out of specification which leads me to believe the currently available starter switches are not able to survive the loads that a factory switch can.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote