View Single Post
Old 06-15-2021, 11:08 PM   #212
theastronaut

Re: 1966 F100 Short Bed Styleside Metal/Body/Paint Work

The original hand brake was deleted since it would be in the way of the clutch master cylinder for the T56. The owner decided on a tunnel mounted e-brake instead. I made a backing plate out of 16g on the Pullmax to add some strength to the top of the tunnel since the mounting area will see some strain when the brakes are applied.

Mounting the handle as intended left very little room for your hand to get between the floor and handle- even less once padding and carpet is added.

Part of that problem was a gap between the last tooth of the ratchet section and the base where the release lever rests, so the handle could droop with a bit of free play between the base and the first notch.

I welded up the base to take up the free space so the lever can't tilt down past the first tooth.

I also flipped the front mounting pads to the top of the panel to angle the handle up slightly more.

With the mounting pads flipped the bolt heads were sticking up too far to be covered over with carpet padding, so I welded the bolts into the brackets upside down to work as studs, then cut the bolt heads off. I also shaved down the rear bolt heads so they'd have a lower profile. Compare the gap between the boot bezel and the floor in the last pic to the one I posted above.

Reinforcement plate and tunnel prepped for welding.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote