View Single Post
Old 07-22-2021, 11:50 PM   #225
theastronaut

Re: 1966 F100 Short Bed Styleside Metal/Body/Paint Work

And the fun stuff... the owner brought the hydraulic clutch master cylinder setup from Modern Driveline and the pedal assembly to the shop today. The pics in the instructions didn't look anything like the '66 firewall and the box was marked 61-66 so I looked up pics of '61-'64 firewalls, knowing that they were different. Seems like the kit was designed for the different 61-64 firewall and pedal assembly.

Instruction pic-

Wider 61-64 pedal mount with straight pedals. 65/66 have curved pedals and a narrower pedal assembly mounting pad.

This vid shows the problem with mounting the kit to 65/66 pedals and firewall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeIGHAxHDiY

This was the starting point of the clutch pedal, it was pretty crooked and the pedal pad plate was welded on too low compared to the brake pedal pad.

A 24" adjustable wrench and the vise worked to easily straighten the kinks out. I still need to relocate the pedal pad.

The instructions didn't say how far away from the pedal pivot point the pushrod mount needed to be for the correct throw, so I had to measure the master cylinder travel (~2 3/16")...

Then I set the pedal up with a stack of shims at the floor to replicate padding and carpet, and I added a 1/16" shim on top of the old top stop to simulate a taller new bumper since the old one was flattened out a bit.

That set the maximum travel of the pedal. I found the point that had 2 3/16" travel and marked it- about 6 1/8" away from the pedal pivot.

The mount area needed to be spaced over so I made a pattern and made a 3/16" thick strap to weld in place.

Smoothing out the welds with a carbide burr for the inside corners.

Firewall drilled to mount the master cylinder and linkage. In the instructions and video it shows the m/c being mounted at an angle which looked wrong, and the linkage hanging downward so it was more visible under the dash. I drilled the m/c holes vertical instead and installed the linkage upside down to hide it better. The offset bolt pattern kicked the linkage closer to the pedal assembly this way for less angle on the heim linkage.

Linkage adjusted, checking linkage angles with the pedal in and out.

Enough room for a ~10" booster.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote