View Single Post
Old 07-24-2021, 01:50 PM   #24
SkidmoreGarage

Re: Skidmore '67 C20

Thanks! I am not a professional, but I am happy to share my experience.

I used three different body fillers, depending on what was needed. The long and short strand body fillers, for use over metal repair (MIG) and small gaps, was made by Evercoat. It was really nice to work with, as nice as reinforced body filler can be. For the regular filler I used 3m Bondo 261. It was what I had on hand. I have a lot more left, so I'll probably keep using it, but it isn't anything special. It clogs paper pretty fast (use an old wire brush to knock it off in a few seconds) and is easy to scratch, but isn't too hard to sand. I want to switch to the evercoat stuff. I use 3m glazing putty for the spot cleanup.

The biggest boost for me was I bought a new 6" D/A and it is a revelation for feathering edges and general leveling. Plenty of power and I just keep rotating through the sandpaper to keep it removing material. I think the other thing that helps is to start sanding at the right time for what stage you are in the sanding process. If you are leveling across a panel, sand when the filler is still a little soft. If you are doing detail work, don't be afraid to let it set up overnight. Also, when in doubt apply another layer of filler and take it all off again!
SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote