View Single Post
Old 08-05-2021, 05:02 PM   #216
Cautrell05

Re: It's my turn, 47 S10 build

Sorry about the lack of updates. Last year was a bit of a roller coaster. Between all the covid bs and quality of my work environment going to crap my motivation was long gone for much of anything. Between bad management chasing out good help and the new help being way under qualified and under motivated I had just had enough. I got really lucky and one of the guys I work with sent me a link for a restoration shop near me looking for help. I knew it was going to be a part cut, they just went through and gave everybody big raises to stay. In a shop with 17 techs, 5 had quit in the previous 2 months. I went over and we talked numbers and he was close enough to make it work so in September I loaded up my tools from the gm dealer that I had been at for 13 years and started over as the new guy. For someone that enjoys building things from scratch as a hobby this place is the definition of a dream job. No set schedule, work whatever days I want, 40 plus overtime however I want to schedule it. Nobody yelling at me at 802 because I'm late, no customers showing up 2 hours early and wanting their stuff done right now, nobody pissed off because they got towed in for the third time this month. No stress, no pressure, nothing like the car shows on tv. And I have a key to the shop and full access whenever I want.
The place is pretty well set up. Three hoists, two band saws, drill press, sheet metal stomp shear, large and small sheet metal brake, 2 110 migs, 220 mig, 220 Tig, plasma cutter, full size industrial lathe and mill. They do everything from small upgrades to full frame off restorations. The shop owner did the interior and upholstery work. Many times all from scratch. Needless to say progress had tremendous. I'll and get updates as I can. My laptop is being stubborn and it takes forever to type on my phone.

My 47/S10 build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=679723
Cautrell05 is offline   Reply With Quote