View Single Post
Old 08-13-2021, 01:27 PM   #55
daveshilling

Braking it down

I tried replacing the old single reservoir with another I had laying around, but after realizing I could add power brakes to this truck for cheap using spare parts and an amazon MC, I went that route instead. I had an extra booster lying around from an ebay mistake, and i bought a open box booster on Amazon for $10. $20 for two valves, $50 for the mount because I didn't feel like spending hours making one, and I'm in business.

The '59's use 3/8 fittings already, and the front/rear lines all separate on the drivers side, so it's very easy to just add the residual valves and make a couple lines to reach the MC. I made the lines too short to make nice crisp 90 degree bends, but I didn't want to waste the line so I made it work.

The drawback of 59's is that most replacement brake hoses don't fit the factory setup. I only saw one place selling correct lines, and since i got replacements for free with my axle swap, I had to solve the problem another way. I used a tee fitting and made a short line to connect to the brake hose, eliminating the factory junction.

I also didn't want to spend $$ on a heim joint and all that for the booster, so I made my own connection using some steel tubing. I removed the nut that came on the booster and welded it to the end, and it works great.
Attached Images

daveshilling is offline   Reply With Quote