View Single Post
Old 08-28-2021, 11:41 AM   #3
68bowtie

Re: Restore or modify?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
I believe we were at that point about 10 years ago.
An unrestored loaded original with low mileage will always be top of the heap, followed closely by a correctly restored to original condition truck.
The modified stuff floating around on barrett jackson that brings big $ is, in my opinion, a distraction. Don't get me wrong, money is money and some of the modified stuff brings it - but generally speaking, barrett jackson bidders fall into two categories: those that know what is valuable (and they buy the original unrestored or correctly restored to original trucks), and those that just have money and bid with the general uninformed crowd frenzy or based on tire size - and find out when they get home that their 1 of 1 Cheyenne Super is really just a 1 of 200,000 Custom Deluxe with liptstick - but I do enjoy watching them spend their $

Anyway, I look at it this way - IF you are fortunate enough to have an original in good condition, you'll always be better off by either leaving it alone completely and selling it as unrestored - or by restoring it to original specs and selling it as restored to original. My 2 cents anyway

A unique category that falls somewhere in the middle is the modified stuff that "could easily be restored to original" with minimal work - these can appeal to both the informed and the uninformed crowds (the former thinking "well, I could fix these mistakes pretty easily...", the latter thinking "it will be perfect once I install the hula girl on the dash and add that 8" lift..." - but a deeper pool of potential buyers nonetheless. But I still believe unrestored and properly restored trucks will always be better "investments" and will hold their value compared to any other category.
I agree with this ^^

Survivor "Lil’ Mint" (67 c10 40k mile light green original paint)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh) SOLD
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh) SOLD
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote