View Single Post
Old 08-28-2021, 01:40 PM   #265
Old_Truck_Fan

Re: Project "Financial Burden": 1968 SWB C10

Thanks for the motivating comments. I appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidmoreGarage View Post
Nice job on those pieces. I'd like to hear more about the curved turbo shield process.

How well did it hold the large radius curve? What would you do differently? It looks like the shoulder radius was hammered over the form?
It would have been easier to just weld the two pieces together at a 90 degree edge but I wanted the look of a stamped piece which the large radius curve helps pull off. I really like the hammer forming process. You basically sandwich a primary shape between two forms while you hammer the material over an edge to form a secondary shape. I split the two pieces along the centerline of the radius so that the shaping was even between the two halves. You could have put the full radius on just one piece but it requires a lot more shrinking to turn the corner. With enough hammering the part will conform to the form very well, so there were no issues with the part conforming to the large radius. The only thing I would have done differently is perhaps rolled the edge of the heat shield on both sides instead of just where I welded it to the mounting flange. I thought I could only assemble the shield from the rear of the turbo but it actually can be assembled from the side too. So I could have curled over the front edge instead of leaving it straight. I'll attach a few more pictures that might be helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodnears View Post
Very nice use of the 3d printer. I have one as well and have made a few parts for myself so far. Interesting to see what others are doing with these machines! Nice project!
I've really enjoyed using my 3D printer as well. I bought it as a kit earlier this year so it was a fun process just putting it together and understanding how it works. Its been easy to use and I was able to get successful prints right out of the box. I'd recommend the PRUSA mini as a good machine for someone just getting started with one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowK5 View Post
That is some nice metal work...I am guessing it is part of your daily work?..a bit better than a back yard mech.
I'm a mechanical engineer but I don't get much hands on exposure at work.
All of my metal working skills have just been picked up through reading, videos, a few metal working workshops, and a lot of trail and error. I'm just a weekend warrior but I really enjoy it and try to make every part better than the last.
Attached Images

Old_Truck_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote