View Single Post
Old 09-02-2021, 06:22 PM   #293
Paul Y

Re: The English are coming! Or..another C10 in the Motherland.

In the final push to get Woody's engine fired up, even if it is just for 30 seconds or so, today was the day I had set aside to fit the fuel pump and test the fuel lines for leaks ahead of 'turning the key' tomorrow.

First things first, let's set up a beauty shot.

What we have here Ladies and Gentlemen is a Chevy Blazer fuel...basket?... and a Walbro 450 fuel pump, good enough for more than my planned 500whp.

First challenge.

Bumhats. Not the slot A in tab B assembly I was hoping for...

Never mind, I have a set of those de pinning keys I purchased on a whim several years ago so this should be an easy job, right?

Wrong.

Lets just say that I eventually got the pins out but it was in no way thanks to the miracle of the de pinning keys... Grrrr.

Anyway, eventually ended up with...

Which I 'skilfully' (ahem) attached to the plug wiring that came with the pump.

Aaaannnnnnndddd this is where it all went a bit Pete Tong.

See the blue clip that I have carefully circled in red. Yes that one on the left. Well, its job is to hold the wires in place to stop them falling out - in conjunction with the hateful pins already mentioned.

Well, as I went to re insert it into the plug it decided it had had enough of my nonsense and shot off like one of Elon's rockets at a trajectory across the garage, never to be seen again. I spent 2 hours searching for it until I was at thermo nuclear levels of annoyance - for those that know me I don't get annoyed so lets just say the best thing I could do was to close the garage doors and retreat to watch some trash TV.

Question for those of you have more experience than me on such things, can I 'Just" fill the connector up with silicon to hold the wires in place instead of the clip? Will it be affected by the fuel?

If anybody has any ideas or advice I would appreciate it.

As my old boss used to tell me 'Hope is not a Strategy' but I am hoping I will go out there again tomorrow and find the hateful blue clip sitting on the bench - or one of you bright sparks comes up with a solution.

So, until tomorrow.

Onwards!

P.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=658621

If it goes wrong, I blame the Internet...
Paul Y is offline   Reply With Quote