View Single Post
Old 09-02-2021, 09:22 PM   #61
daveshilling

59 Chevy sitting for 20 years...WILL IT RUN?!

Well, some progress is better than none! The oil pan leaked like crazy when I tried running it, so I pulled it, cleaned it up, and tried again. Torqued to spec, and it seems like I've got a better seal this time. Phew! I was really dreading that step.

So, I got the truck running...but not well. I thought I had timing issues and fuel was no problem, but when I pulled the manifolds I found gas pooled inside. dumping fuel down the carb was not helpful. Turns out I was just not slapping the gas pedal 100 times while holding the starter! That being said, it's not ready to cruise yet.

Symptoms/Steps so far:
  • When a vacuum hose is left off, it will stay running but at a high rpm and I do not need to touch the gas pedal to do so.
  • When I plug the vacuum leak, and stay on the gas, it will stay running, but rough.
  • It will not start without feeding the gas pedal a bunch while kicking the starter pedal. Its quite the dance.
  • It would not run unless I loosened the screw and pulled the distributor over to the advance side nearly all the way. There is no more room for adjustment anymore.

Things I've checked so far:
  • At Cyl #1 TDC, my rotor points to the #1 plug, and there is a .019in gap on the points (new points gap recommendation)..what is considered "static timing" I guess.
  • The vacuum advance is working
  • Turning the distributor manually while its running will slow down or stall the engine, rather than smooth anything out.
  • Turning the idle screw does nothing to improve idle

Parts Status:
  • New cap
  • New rotor
  • New capacitor
  • New Coil
  • New Plugs gapped to .035
  • New wires
  • New Vacuum advance
  • Freshly Rebuilt Carb

Seeing guys on YouTube idle a 235 thats sitting on a pallet while I struggle over here haha!
daveshilling is offline   Reply With Quote