View Single Post
Old 09-20-2021, 01:51 PM   #1
scottmitchellrose

steering column pulls out!

POsting for a friend- Have a ’67 C-10 that had a bad lower bearing on the steering shaft since I bought the truck ~6 years ago. It has a straight (non-tilt) steering wheel. Used to be a three on the tree, but has been 4 on the floor since before I purchased. In June I was manhandling it through an intersection (no power steering) and something went ‘snap’ and the steering wheel was now spinning in my hands unconnected to the wheels!

It appears (per another post on this forum) that the race of the bad bearing had slowly cut through about 20% of the steering rod until it sheared in half under load. You can see the in pictures. I initially thought the shaft came in two pieces and some connection between them had broken, and I had to find a ~37in. replacement for the upper bit. But now I think I’m supposed to find a ~5 foot single shaft that will go all the way from the steering wheel to down where it bolts to he steering business by the wheels. So the ask…

1. I haven’t been able to find this part in the catalogs. Does anyone know how to find it (the long single shaft)?
2. My mechanic says it will be cheaper (his labor) to just replace this shaft but is it smarter to just replace the whole column? I’d guess the answer to that may depend on how good the replacement column is.

i have a few pics i can email- can't figure out how to attach here.
scottmitchellrose is offline   Reply With Quote