View Single Post
Old 09-29-2021, 12:01 AM   #1
beanious

Post Painful Front Driveshaft Install and Removal

Hello everyone, I've got a 71 K10 that I swapped to a 700R4. If I want to pull the tx pan to say replace the filter or replace ujoints in the driveshaft it's a huge pain to pull the (4) bolts holding the driveshaft from the double cardan to the 205 transfer case yoke. You know those bolts that you have to spin 1/32 of a turn and then flip the wrench and it takes you a half hour to get four of them out! I was poking around the summit site and found a replacement set of ARP bolts that have a 3/8 12 point head instead of 1/2 and are the exact same length and threads. It made it to where with an extension, universal and ratchet I can tighten them from under the truck instead of having to put my hands up over the driveshaft near the transfer case shifter mechanism. I was even able to use a torque wrench on them, which I was never able to do and just guessed they were tight enough. Total time to install the front driveshft was 15 minutes with a helper locking and unlocking the hubs. I hated to do this job and now it's a breeze, just wanted to pass it along to the community.

Last edited by beanious; 09-29-2021 at 12:22 AM.
beanious is offline   Reply With Quote