Thread: 1956 3100 build
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2021, 12:17 AM   #113
dsraven

Re: 1956 3100 build

haha, yeah, I know. been there on a few different things. should i do this differently? is there a better way? let me research this first. then. when all said and done, you tape off a line and grab a zip disc. took less time to do than it did to research. lol.
I use autobody tape a lot for stuff like making a line for zip disc cutting. it sticks pretty well and makes a good line to cut against. for the zip discs, actually I have switched to mostly the lennox metalmax disc. it is a steel blade with diamond embedded on the cutting surface so it doesn't get smaller as you cut and it doesn't periodically explode and leave shards under your skin for future reference. I usually cut the hole a little on the small side and then use my die grinder to custom fit a nice tight space for welding the new part in. panel clamps would work awesome on your project. clecos work well too. what I have done in the past is make a tight fitting panel, then where the clecos will go I simply make a little hole in the crack between the parts so the cleco will fit in. sometimes you need a small washer on the back side if it is accessible. then, as I'm sure you are well accustomed to, it is tack, tack, tack around the 4 sides till it's all stuck. then tack between those tacks and then more between those tacks until it is fully welded in. yup, time consuming to do it right so it doesn't warp. you been there. looking good too.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote