View Single Post
Old 10-25-2021, 11:41 PM   #364
mechanixman

Re: 1952 1 Ton Rebuild

Next step is to finally rejuvenate the dome light.
A while back, I saw someone use a COB led to light their cab and I was sold.
A little note: As LED's aren't really made in the US, it's handy to keep measurements in mm as that is what the manufacturers use.
I found out I would need a 36mm x 60mm LED to fully use the original light cavity. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a board that fit those dimensions. So I took a gamble and bought a 36mm x 120mm long board instead and thought I would try cutting it in half. I tried to stay in between the two middle rows of LED's to make sure I wouldn't short the board. I'm not sure if I was successful in that or not....but it doesn't matter because both halves still work!
Way back when I also cut and roughly sanded it to fit in the glass. By itself, it looks awful. But man the whole thing together is just great. I think it probably helps that I sandblasted the inside of the glass dome way back when in an effort to diffuse whatever light went through it. Now it just makes everything look clean and even.
At 12v the LED's are blinding by the way. I found that 10.8v is just what I'm looking for in terms of light output/color.
Speaking of color, I did choose the warm white option because I liked the idea of matching the look/feel of an incandescent bulb. i just wanted more of it.

I just got the LED board tonight. So this is more of a mock up than anything else. I think I'll post the details once I actually put it together. To give you a hint, that little silvery package in the bottom right corner of the pictures is a buck converter. They can be had from $1-$2 a piece on the jungle site. Normally they come in packs of 10. I'll be using that to step the 12-14.3V to the 10-11 I'm looking for for this LED. I'll also need a heat sink so as not to fry the LED and figure out some way to make it all fit. maybe a simple bulb is better. Ha ha
Attached Images

mechanixman is offline   Reply With Quote