Thread: Wampus Cat
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2021, 10:23 PM   #147
TxCajun

Re: Wampus Cat

On the Front Panel, I uncovered rust at the bottom of the upper double wall area. I was kind of surprised to find rust there because the rest of the bed panels are fairly rust free. And the rust is worse on the inside (facing the bed) than on the outside (facing the cab).

I'm thinking that it would be easier to repair this rust if the Front Panel was off the truck and it could be laid flat on a worktable. My bed has a steel tread plate floor that someone welded in place, including welds along the bottom of the panels where they meet the floor plate. I was able to grind off the welds along the bottom of the Front Panel and remove the bolts that secure it to the side panels, so it is now free to move. However, I can't "stretch" the side panels out enough to remove the front panel because they are also spot welded to the floor.

I guess I now need to decide whether to cut out those side-panel-to-floor welds to get some more room to release the Front Panel, or try to do the rust repair patch panels in place. Aaarrrrggghhh!!!
Attached Images