View Single Post
Old 10-28-2021, 10:58 PM   #9
Accelo

Re: Installing tailgate trim.

Yours looks much better than the set I received. Almost decent.

I worked on mine again today. I found the tailgate handle would hit the chrome bezel when I opened the tail gate.

Since I had only drilled the bezel holes the stud size and had not clearance the holes for the push in sleeves yet, I attempted to move the holes up. This was to provide some more clearance for the bezel. Well it kind of worked. I also moved the handle down some by slotting the holes where the latch bolts in. I was able to improve the issue but not completely solve it. In the picture you can see some missing paint on the handle. I just noticed the other handle pictures posted seem to have the same issue. Just another reason to complete assemble everything before painting. I am confident he stacking of tolerances is what is screwing this project up.

The lip on the side of the tailgate is .080 difference between one side and the other. This made it difficult to get the edge clips in as you have to start a nut on the inside lip. On the Left side I couldn't use the provided well-nut as there wasn't enough clearance between the tailgate wall and the hold to start the nut on the stud. One of the clips worked great. The second studded clip broke the first time I bent the wire to install it. Picture included.

I had a perfect OEM tailgate I wish I would have kept.
Attached Images
Attached Images

Accelo is online now   Reply With Quote