View Single Post
Old 11-28-2021, 10:33 AM   #230
Cautrell05

Re: It's my turn, 47 S10 build

Going through my list. Cab and front clip is mounted, steering and brakes are hooked up, throttle and shifter hooked up. Getting the bed mounted was the next step. I cannot express how lucky I am to have a full Fab shop in my disposal after hours to work on this thing. Most of the work was done on the one far hoist that we weren't using at the time. With it up on the hoist and leveled front to back and side to side within an eighth of an inch I started getting the box in place. I have about a half a dozen of these trucks within a hundred yards of the back door of the shop for reference measurements so that was nice. I also mocked up the running boards in place to make sure everything seemed about right. The front mounts are some 1 1/4" square 1/8" wall tubing with a piece of inch and a half angle on top. The back one is a section of I believe it was three inch square tubing that I cut in half lengthwise to make two L brackets. If it was a work truck I probably would have went heavier on the mounts, but let's be real here. It's working days are done. It's getting the easy life from here on out. The heaviest load it might have is a motorcycle and luggage from our place up to the Black hills which is 8 or 9 hours. Other than that it's going to be coolers and lawn chairs. It won't be hauling firewood or scrap iron.
For the two middle mounts, I used a set of standard 47 Chevy bed cross bars, both of them to the box with a piece of wood is a spacer so they're at the right height and then bent and welded an ear on the crossbars that bolted to the top of the frame rail. That may end up being a pain in the ass later, as my intention when I blow it apart to paint and powder coat everything is to fully box the frame. But I'll cross that when I get there.
Attached Images

My 47/S10 build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=679723
Cautrell05 is offline   Reply With Quote