View Single Post
Old 12-12-2021, 08:28 PM   #263
Cautrell05

Re: It's my turn, 47 S10 build

Currently serving was the weak link in the drivetrain is the 700r4 that was originally behind the 4.3 that came with this chassis. The intention was that if I drive it like a responsible adult it will hold up long enough to decide what I want to run permanently for a transmission.
Spoilers- I'm 46 and not a responsible adult.

Behind the 4.3 it shifted good and would actually get second gear tire chirps if I got after it. Surprisingly there was no signs of clutch material in the pan when I checked it out. It got a thorough cleaning with the power washer, new filter and pan gasket a couple coats of semi gloss black. Reasons for the black, everybody does silver. Silver looks good but also shows any imperfections. Black hides a lot while at the same time making the orange on the transmission pop even more. Plus it gives it a mean look underneath.

The S10 dipstick tube fit almost perfectly with just a little tweaking to clear the firewall.

Behind that is a GM driveshaft that I have no idea what it came from but it just happened to be the perfect length for this application. Gotta get lucky once in as while I guess.

Little tip for those running a nine inch and a GM driveshaft. The yoke I'm running on this one is 1 1/8"x 3 5/8". It's very close to the GM metric joint, 534g I believe. They make a combination joint to match up between the two. Easier solution is to clearance the ears on the yoke for the joint. Then from there forward it's just a standard s10 joint.
A set of digital calipers, a note pad, and a Dremel with a cut off wheel. Measure the distance inside the ears on the yoke. Write that down. Take a small amount off one side, measure the difference then take that same amount off the other side. Keep doing it evenly until the joint fits snug like it's supposed to.
Attached Images

My 47/S10 build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=679723
Cautrell05 is offline   Reply With Quote