View Single Post
Old 12-24-2021, 11:13 AM   #1
MDFarms

Two tone paint questions

Good Morning and Happy Holidays to All,

This thread may seem obvoius to some but I would like input as I have never tackled a 67-72 two tone paint scheme. I have seen on different auctions people discussing wrong paint lines and trim heights on these before. My paint and body guy is one of the best but he has not done a complete layout on these before although worked on them back in his younger years. He is very maticulous but if he should have questions I would like some answers by being proactive now vs reactive then. I'm hoping a lot if good will come out of this discussion.

So I have some questions from those whom have done a Two Tone restoration on your process of laying out the two tone paint scheme? I did some measurments on my other truck but would like some input. Found nothing in the paint & Body section of the forums. This will be base coat clear coat paint with wooden bed floor.

My paint scheme will be white roof, blue/white/blue

Obviously have body mounted to frame line up all body lines.

Then drill holes for trim work and use that for guide on two tone lines?

Best to do the roof and center before the main color (blue)

My body guy spoke about painting parts disassembled, doing main color then back together to do center color, good or bad?

Starting points with top and bottom trim lines?

Start with front, back or perhaps door and go each way front to back?

Is the door trim piece that goes just over key lock level on door front to rear?

At my tailight/tilagate and rear box side the total white band was about 12-7/8 from what I could tell.

At the front of the door the white band measured 15-5/8 width top to bottom

I did this top moulding jig off my old truck which again to some may be laughable but it came to mind and so I did it thinking it wouldn't hurt to have a guidline.
Attached Images

Last edited by MDFarms; 12-24-2021 at 05:22 PM.
MDFarms is offline   Reply With Quote