View Single Post
Old 12-24-2021, 02:18 PM   #283
Tempest67

Re: 51 Chev on a S10 frame, named Dale

Time for an update, and a recap on the build.

I/we put about 1000 miles on the truck for our first summer. Other than a faulty ignition module, it ran perfectly.

Overall, I am very pleased, drives straight, is reliable, and relatively comfortable. I did not 'service' the rear leaf spring bushings when I built the truck, but I think if I did it may ride more smoothly.

I noticed a rear axle seal leaking in October, so installed a new one with rear shoes. I guess, when using a rear end from a junk yard, I should have done that in the first place. (for $4 per seal)

I was getting bored, so I decided to paint the 'Supertest' logo on the door (old Canadian Gas Station) and then sand it down to make look old/patina.

This winter I have a few things to do. Nothing major, but something to keep me amused.

1. the motor mounts that I purchased, "made for V8's in a S10", need to be raised about 1/2 an inch, as the stock exhaust manifold just touches the upper A arm. ( I purchased these as I thought it would be a perfect fit, very disappointed)
2. The 'vented' gas cap that I used does not allow the tank to vent, so I will add a 1 way air breather to a blocked tube the sending unit.
3. the interior light switch on the door jamb has been damaged so I need to add another.
4. I am going to install some plastic fender welting between the fenders and the cab/box to reduce some rattles.

Thank you to everyone that has shared their experiences when building their truck, as your help made this build possible. (and eliminated a lot of guess work)

Merry Christmas everyone
Attached Images

Tempest67 is offline   Reply With Quote