View Single Post
Old 01-09-2022, 10:22 PM   #4
RoyL

Re: QA1 Coilovers Spring Rate 650-750-850?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
You need to do calculations for the combo to get your target spring rate for starting.

The weight of the front components, suspension pivot point dimensions, & shock angle are some of the things you need to have an idea of to get started. Ridetech has an index w/various component combos to help narrow starting spring-rate choices.

It's definitely not a 'one size fits all' answer so even if you have a similar combo as another guys, the ride quality interpretation is subjective & you may want more/less spring rate vs. what they have.
Thx, understand. I do need to know the basics of my vehicle... still want to know what others have used and their experience with them.

Yes, looks like Ridetech has a nice link to vehicle weights and A and B dimensions on their calculator. https://www.ridetech.com/tech/vehicle-weights/
Suburban is spelled 'Surburban' if you search. Says typical weight with a V8 and 700R4 is 4,500, front weight is 2,280. Used their A-arm data for dimension A and B (10.94" and 16.94"), some trial and error with the angle and spring stroke and spring length.

Guesstimate using the Ridetech coils [73-87 coilover kit includes this spring: 59080800, Coilspring, 8”, 800lb] which results in ~700 lb for a cruiser/daily driver.

If I use QA1's 10" coil, 1OHTXXX, SPRING, 1O" HIGH TRAVEL 2-1/2" ID, results are ~550 lb
I'll have to get QA1's A/B dimensions to be apples to apples, I guess.