View Single Post
Old 01-17-2022, 11:47 AM   #170
landarts
landarts

Re: 71 K20 Idaho Edition

With that out of the way back to the Idaho Edition. I needed to get that out of the way otherwise it might be a few more months until I get around to getting that truck drivable so I can work on it.
So next on the list was to get the motor from the K20 cleaned up stripped down, painted and back in the truck. While I was working on getting the oil and dirt off of the motor I needed to also do some repairs on the motor crossmember sand motor mounts.

When I pulled the motor at the end of October I noticed that the one of the mounts and two locations on the crossmember needed some welding done. So I finally got around to getting them cleaned up and a quick round in the Sand blast cabinet before the welding. That turned out to be about a half days worth of work since the blasting cabinet needed some maintenance and care before use.

Did the welding and a little bit of beating with a hammer to get the bolt hole area that was cracked back into place. Then used a carbide bit to grind down the welds a bit and then switched to a 3"disc on a little die grinder.
About half way through using the die grinder to knock down the welds I was getting a boat load of tiny metal shavings and shard from the grinding so I laid two really strong magnets on top of the crossmember where I was grinding and let them do the work of containing the mess. Still need to chase the holes with a step bit to open them up and a little paint and I can cross that off the list and install.

Pict 1, 2, 3 are of the mounts and frame before repair
Picts 4,5 are out of blast cabinet and the welding done and smoothed out a little
Attached Images

68 Second Chance
Fix and Sale 72 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 K2500
The "Fixrupr" build thread

72 Cheyenne 1/2 ton " FIXRUPR " - daily driver
67 C20 all original paint
71 K20 Custom 4x4 (Idaho Edition)
72 K20 GMC Super Custom 4x4
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
69 K10 Custom package 4x4 (69 K10 from the field)
72 K10 Custom
71 K10 Custom
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
72 K20 Crew Cab Project
71 GMC Jimmy CST
72 Blazer
70 Blazer
landarts is offline   Reply With Quote