View Single Post
Old 02-01-2022, 07:14 PM   #229
SCOTI

Re: 1968 GMC Shorty - Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham57a View Post
Got to work on Pearl a little this afternoon. Between a 9 month old running around and about 6 other trucks it seems like this one keeps getting put on the back burner. Well I’m hoping to change that over the next little bit, we will see how well I can keep at it.

So my current to dos:

I really need to get the front crossmember complete and bolted in for the last time. I worked on metal finishing my welds today and I’m pretty happy with how it turned out. Hopefully gonna take it to work for a blast and powdercoat in the next couple weeks to call it 100% done and bolt to the frame for the last time. All in I’m pretty happy with how the 1 1/2” pancake turned out

Balance of front suspension. I was able to score a set or used porterbuilt tubular uppers and lowers. They are going to make my conversion to bags a million times easier and way cleaner. Mocked them up today with no issues, gonna put them on the list to powdercoat as well.
Quote:
It looks like I have about 14” clear from “aired out” center of hub to ground. Based on eye balling my orange truck I think I can tuck 22s with really skinny tires or 20s with a fatter tire. That will probably make me go with a 20/22 setup long term but I’m still gonna get a set of steelies for now.
Detroit Steelies 20x8 & 22x10 in the Argent Silver & those caps FTW.

Quote:
So I got everything mocked up in the front and I’m pretty happy with how it all fits and moves. I think next on my list is to figure out inner fenders so I can verify clearances and what else I have to modify under the hood. I really like the old hills rod and custom style of inners but I don’t think they make them anymore so I may have to do some searching.
These are the old Hills fenders: https://www.stonerspeedshop.com/collections/fenders

Quote:
After I get my inner fenders figured out I think I’ve got almost everything figured out up front. Gotta get some bags and run some lines but I feel like that will be straight forward (hopefully). Also figure out steering but I think I am gonna go with a rack n pinion to keep it simple.
R&P might be a little more trouble w/the x-member sectioned 1.5". Maybe the POL set-up?

Quote:
Lastly I am on the search for rear kits. I’ve been looking at this kit my Chasis Fab https://chassisfabsuspension.com/col...suspension-kit but I’m not totally sold yet. Does anyone have any other opinions to insert here?
Was this one leafs or truck-arm?

Quote:
Lastly just a few interior pieces that I’ve been working on to show you guys. I’m gonna hold off on any more interior work for a while to avoid getting the cart before the horse. I’m 95% sure I’m gonna be welding and grinding on my firewall again before this is all said and done so I wanna keep that collateral damage to a minimum.
What further mods to the firewall?

A little late to this party but came across this one today....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote