View Single Post
Old 02-06-2022, 01:53 PM   #1281
MP&C

Re: 55 Wagon Progress

Thanks for the comments on the prototype shirts.. We are still working the logisitics and trying to keep them cost effective. The tye dye portion per shirt cost me about what I paid for the shirt to begin with. So we're still investigating options to try and keep the cost down.

In adapting our defroster vents for the wagon, we needed to add a bead in the tubing to better retain the hose attached. The beading die we made for this purpose on the bead roller was too large to fit the 1-1/4" tube, so another tool is in order.. Our worn out Southbend was used to make the round profiles, with a step in the bottom die to act as a backstop for better consistency in bead placement.

I don't have much in the form of hardened tool steel for making specialized cutters for the lathe, so I used a 3/4" square cutter from the Lennox to form the following for making the concave shape.. the male counterpart was done on the fly...

The 4140 square stock was squared on both ends, then a relief added for our round profile to rest in.

Our c-clamps had a VEE notch that would assist in keeping the round bits from moving, so that was used in lieu of a vise..

The infinitely adjustable clamps worked well, the TIG was used to add a fusion weld around the perimeter (no filler rod)

https://youtube.com/shorts/a3cJ9NzG-qM

After welding, the assembly is heated to a straw color (pre-blue) and dipped in our official Mickey Thompson fluid container (transmission fluid) to harden things up a bit.

Here are the dies in use, take note of what happens when you don't keep pressure against the backstop.... No harm no foul, a couple more passes cleans it right up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YMJkqdMVyU

That should help to keep the hose in place...

Last edited by MP&C; 02-06-2022 at 02:11 PM.
MP&C is offline   Reply With Quote