View Single Post
Old 02-08-2022, 12:46 PM   #9
ochre 72

Re: Double Wall top overhaul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Skier View Post
I'm working on mine now.

I chose to cut it apart since I had major issues:
  • Damaged driver, rear most pillar with an obvious inward bulge that interferes with hatch
  • Sagging all across the top
  • Misalignment of the inner and outer panels just behind the driver so seal was visible
  • Front corner mounts broken
  • Rust in the lower part of the rear support arch, cracks in upper parts
  • Inside center seam was crooked and not flush
  • Top never looked quite right above windshield rail
  • Someone put accessories in the roof and drilled a 3" hole surround by a mounting plate with 12 holes through the inside and outside layers between the driver and passenger.

I used an oscillating tool with a carbide blade (other blades won't hold up cutting fiberglass). I cut around the edges and kind of guessed how it was put together. It was a pain to get apart. I wanted to keep the inner and outer shells as one piece each, but I gave up on that and cut around the sagging areas and split the outer shell in two pieces down the middle.

Since it was apart, I swapped the mounting bolts in the bed rail for draw latches that operate with a hex key. I built a metal frame that fits between the layers of the top. I'm adding lifting and accessory mounts, two dome lights, and a third brake light.

I have some more metal work to do before I epoxy everything in place and fill with foam.

Hoping to do a longer post when I get mine done.
Wow! I cant wait to see the pics. That's a complete overhaul.
I'm almost finished with my metal work. Starting the repairs on the numerous holes and cracks now. I'm working my confidence up for the rooftop.
I've decided to "build" inside the sags with fiberglass mat. If it doesn't look right i will cut the panels out and fill with foam. Any advice or pics are appreciated. Good luck with yours!
ochre 72 is offline   Reply With Quote