View Single Post
Old 02-08-2022, 10:42 PM   #838
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Working Man's Burbon

Finally the stars aligned and I started the steering box and pump replacement today. I suspected there would be some sketchy things from the PO that would have the be rectified and I wasn't disappointed.
I contacted Lares Corporation about identifying what box and pump were installed in the truck. They were a great help with to me. We exchanging at least dozen emails and at 6 phone calls. The outcome was the WMB has a mid-seventys box and and mid-eightys car pump. The pump likely came from the 85 El Camino 305 that was in the truck when I bought it.
One problem came from using the 80's pump with what looks to be a correct pump mount for a 67-72 meant the hard return line on the pump is angled wrong and caused the return hose to be pushed hard against the mount. The pump I ordered came with the hard line orientated differently hopefully this will allow the hose to be kink free.

The second issue was the adapter used to allow the flared end of the pressure hose to be installed to the o-ring style fitting on the pump. The PO used a brass 37* SAE adapter that they wrapped in Teflon tape and then torqued down to an extreme amount to get it to seal. (Photo #1)
I had hoped to take my pressure side hose down and have new hose crimped to hard lines but, during the struggle to remove the hose from the pump I put a twist in the hard line. DHOO! (Photo #2) Now I will have to try and find a complete new hose.
I'm not sure but the female fitting on the pump end of the hose seems a bit odd. For some reason I'm thinking it usually is a male fitting. Hopefully I can get it sorted out at NAPA tomorrow.
The PO also failed to dimple the frame so the box didn't hit the frame. (Photo #3 & 4) Or maybe they did but not nearly enough, or the small dimple was a result of the pump being torqued down. We'll never know the truth.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote