View Single Post
Old 02-09-2022, 09:19 PM   #354
TKCR

Re: Restoring OEM Seatbelts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverfish View Post
Tina, can you share a few tips on cleaning seatbelts, the fabric ? Thank you
I’d be writing a book, lol. All I can say, it’s not really something for the weekend warrior. There are so many things that can be damaged, or cause problems in the future with cleaning belts. Like getting water in the wrong places. I have obviously gotten belts from people that have tried cleaning the belts at one time. And I have found out from a few people that they clean the belts with a power washer, prior to selling the belts. That is a big no no! They don’t realize the problems they are creating by doing that.
Here’s an example. I bought a pretty nice looking set of belts off eBay. They were fairly clean already. And the add stated that they retracted strong, in and out. I looked at them when they arrived and then put them on the shelf to use at a later date. Months later, I was talking with this same seller about another set he had for sale. He mentioned, for some reason, about power washing the belts. I was like, “OH NO!”. I immediately went out and got that box out and checked them. Well quess what, they are stiff pulling the belt out, and they won’t retract. Thankfully, I can fix this. My point is, water in the wrong places will cause problems. Water & metal springs don’t mix well together.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote