View Single Post
Old 02-13-2022, 09:29 AM   #59
hewittca

Re: Sullii the 72 GMC 1500

For the wheel tubs, I wanted to shorten those instead of just moving them up with the bed floor. Without shortening them, they would cross over the top edge of the recessed area and I didn't like the way I thought that would look. Instead, I shortened them such that the top of the tub was in line with the top edge of the recessed area. The stock spacing here is 3" and since I raised the bed 5.5" I had to shorten the tub 2.5". These are the cut lines I had to make to accomplish this. As with the crossmember sectioning, I used the laser to make the cut lines around the radiused corners and this made it line up perfectly.

As you can see, I had to cut a vertical line as well since the tub gets wider as it gets shorter. This resulted in a gap that needed to be filled. Luckily, I had plenty of OG paint scrap left over from the bed raising process! I used whatever I had in the shop (vice, pliers, hammer, rake handle) to bend up the filler piece and overall it matched fairly well.

The relief cut along the corner of the tub turned out to be necessary due to a slightly reduced radius of the corner towards the top of the tub. In the end, the tubs retain all the stock styling elements. I also have plenty of tire clearance as well. All that's left to do on these is finish welding and grinding.

-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote