View Single Post
Old 02-19-2022, 02:11 AM   #17
Mike Bradbury

Re: Project 30 Be Low

Part of the design build process is mocking up components that you have not built yet or have not purchased yet. Wheels are first on the list, making sure they do not interrupt any suspension components or steering arms. Back spacing is a variable so part of the mock up is adjusting the back spacing in various geometries.

The axle has large disk brakes and the 16" Alcoa wheels will not fit. But also the spring perches are set for a single rear wheel not a dually set up. If I shave all of the brackets off I will have to re weld new ones on and probably have to straighten the axle for an additional cost. The way I am designing the new brackets for the four bar suspension will utilize the existing spring perches so no welding will be necessary. But it will require knowing for sure where the inner wheel will be so I can design the suspension components around the wheel.

So wheel mock up needs to be simple and I don't want to spend $500 for a kit. Also I don't want to buy three or four different tires that may or may not work. So I started work on my version of a wheel simulator. A piece of 3/4" EMT and an old saw blade. I milled the saw blade with the 8 x 6.5" lug bolt pattern and 4.5" bore. Then I rolled the EMT into a 20" wheel perimeter. I will tack weld four simple stand offs at 9.5" back space and then bolt it to the rotor front and rear.

I had to turn an arbor plate on the lathe so I could mount the saw blade in the rotary table ensuring the I got the bolt pattern and bore exact.

Last photo is checking bolt pattern against the old inner wheel. I still have the bore to mill out.
Attached Images

Project: Barn Raising http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414961

Project: 30 Be Low https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=830583

Last edited by Mike Bradbury; 02-19-2022 at 02:35 AM.
Mike Bradbury is offline   Reply With Quote