View Single Post
Old 02-22-2022, 02:37 PM   #1
J_T

Question What to do first? Body or frame?

Hello all, I have a running 72 Jimmy with Rockers that need replacing and the front bedside corners. Body supports and mounts and rocker boxes as of now appear solid. I've been putting off doing anything to it as it runs and my family enjoys it so I have just been planning on what needs done. It does burn oil and leaks oil as much as it burns but I think I'm ready to tear into it and sacrifice it being down and taking up room in my shop.

I've never taken a cab/body off the frame... so I want to know.

#1...should I replace body mounts bushings and confirm gaps and then start rust body panel repair on truck as is ?

or

#2...should I lift the body, solidify the Frame cleanup, paint, motor refresh, brake lines, fuel lines and suspension and save the body work for last?

or if you have a #3?

I don't have a rotisserie so if working on body off of the frame is needed I'd have to build a wooden cart and lay on my back for the underside prep. I have a 2 post lift and an engine lift so I was going to use that to get the body off.

As I've only handled mechanic stuff in the past which is just repair/modding and parts swapping this is my first that requires some body work and I didn't know what is the best order for operations ? (I'm leaning toward #2 as its more bang for the buck and probably quickest to get it back to running and enjoying but honestly I'm ready to freshen up the look as its a crappy pealing red paint job over a stock Bronze color that is shining through so its not even a classy patina.

Last edited by J_T; 02-23-2022 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Clarify title
J_T is offline   Reply With Quote