View Single Post
Old 02-23-2022, 10:22 PM   #42
dmjlambert

Re: Gathering parts for front disc brakes for 1969

I would like to buy pre-bent all new brake lines. I would prefer pre-bent and ready to use lines because of the potential time savings and convenience, and hopefully quality. I have made my own bends and flares before and my work is not really satisfying.

I really like GMC Pauls, but when I tried to get help with selecting the right stuff they informed me they don't sell brake conversion parts.

There's a lot of recommendations here for Inline Tube, but when I try to get help from them, they are just trying real hard to sell me the 1969 drum/drum tube set, and extra long stainless braided hoses for the front. After much research and hunting around in their website and catalogs I finally figured out the reason they are steering me this way is because they don't sell front separate from rear. If I buy from them I really just need to buy the 69 and 71 sets and use the rear portion of the 69 set and front portion of the 71 set, and throw out the extra parts. I'm not really into doing that sort of thing. Something about that just bothers me.

It doesn't look like I can buy stainless steel front and rear separately from anybody, it is always one kit for one year. So it looks like I will get steel. I think it will be fine. For a minute I was thinking stainless would be cool and the difference in price is not huge, if only I were able to buy the front and rear kits for different years.

The 69 rear set is appropriate for the shorter differential, and the 71 set is appropriate for the lines going to the front of the crossmember where the hoses attach.

I'm leaning toward LMC where I can buy plain steel, a 71 front set, and 69 rear set. I'm trying to keep the costs of the conversion reasonable.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote