View Single Post
Old 02-27-2022, 10:21 PM   #1809
youngrodder

Re: 53 Surburban "Family Truckster"

Quote:
Originally Posted by e015475 View Post
Finding a lot of inspiration for my truck's interior in your Suburban project. I'm to the point on mine where I've done a re-think on some of the things I did in my build and want to consider some options as well as finish my interior. A few questions for you-

- Someone asked if the new filler neck on your tank was TIG'd on with silicon bronze rod - I didn't see your answer. I like the way yours turned out. I have a stock Gen 2 Camaro tank without a sump for EFI. Instead I have a kluge of a surge tank and an LP pump and I'd like to braze a sump to the tank instead. So TIG was used? Might be time for me to get some brazing rod and start practicing. My friend used brazing rod as it has less of a chance of air pockets which would cause pin hole leaks. Yeah I like the tank with the pump submerged. The original tank I used was not baffled and I didn't notice any issues. Since I decided to buy a new tank I figured I would get the correct baffled one.

-Did you make all of the headliner or just the unique portions for the suburban? (or it's all unique?) Have any recommendations for a pre-fab'd headliner supplier? Lots of variation on price and it is all ABS. Any details on the headliner trim pieces you fab'd? I make each of the 5 sections. On my previous build a 48 truck, I purchased a fiberglass headliner off eBay and I just added foam and vinyl.

-Are you doing a full overlay on your door cards or just the original style? Any details? On my doors I went with custom door cards. On my last build I made full door panels but the Suburban's doors where in such good shape I wanted to show them off. Also a different (more stock) look than my last build. My arm rests are stock but were recovered in the same chocolate brown leather as my seats.

-Can you show some more photos of the filler piece under your dash that contains your AC vents? Assume this is a custom piece? LS Fabrication has some fiberglass pieces that fit underneath the dash for vents, but at $300 or so a pair, I'd rather try fabricating something like yours. My dash panel is different as I cut the bottom of my dash flat across the bottom so the panel does not have the dip down in the middle. That is why LS Fab had to create it in (2) sections. I did the same thing on my last build. If you look a ways up on my build I documented that panel.

-Your seats are impressive. Some of the nicest I've seen. If you don't mind I'll take a few copies of the details with me to my upholsterer this spring. How did you finish off the edges of the square weave carpet you used? Pics?
I did not finish with edging on my carpet. Most is covered by door jam trim. I just redid my front carpet as I was not happy with my first attempt as I got it crooked and with the amount of cut outs, my only choice was to redo it. I'll snap some interior pics once I get it all back together.

Sorry if you've already answered any of these questions - just point me to the post number

Thanks, Phil
If your on IG, I have more detail and videos of the Truckster there. I go by Greenfield_Speedshop on IG.

Thanks Marc..
Attached Images

1948 Chevy Truck - Finished SOLD!!

1953 Chevy Suburban "Family Truckster" Completed: Spring of 2021
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=605484

1994 4x4 Blazer - "Field Find"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ferrerid=30857

Last edited by youngrodder; 03-03-2022 at 05:07 PM.
youngrodder is offline   Reply With Quote