View Single Post
Old 03-06-2022, 11:02 PM   #97
RichardJ

Re: Z code / Fremont, CA Assembly Plant

I can't think any markings like that would have been done on wet paint. My understanding is that the bodies traveled through the paint booth and on into and through the oven.

Maybe different in the '60s as opposed to the'70s. I knew a guy that worked at the VanNuys Plant in the paint booth in the '70s. 90% of the painting was automated, but the machines of the time weren't sophisticated enough to provide perfect coverage in all areas and reach every angle of certain bodies. He and another guy had to catch the areas the auto sprayers missed. Then they had to clear the auto sprayers and their guns for the next color. The way I remember him telling it, they wouldn't have had time to mess with markings.

A guy I knew in VietNam 68-69 said he worked in Fremont on the truck line installing drive shafts. I don't recall his history before Nam. Timewise, I'm not sure he would have worked on these '67 up trucks, but if he did, it would have to have been early production, summer of '66. He talked about enjoying working there.