View Single Post
Old 03-30-2022, 03:10 PM   #127
Second Series

Re: 1947 Panel Truck Frame swap with ’88 k2500

I spent about three hours mounting the starter button bracket. I liked the way it felt when I pressed with my foot. I didn’t like how close the terminals were to the bell housing. I found a random bolt and added it as an extension to the linkage. I made a shorter button bracket and mounted that under the extension. That part only took an hour. The foot pedal throw didn’t feel right, wasn’t long enough. I was ready to call it quits for the day, but it was warm and there were a few hours of daylight left. I had given up on finding a solution that day, but I enjoy working on my truck so I continued with no expectation of results. I decided to try the first bracket in the new location. It worked well. I added a length of hose to the bolt to pad the button. I’ll need to get some ¼” lockwashers for the final mount.
I’ve been practicing the Oxy-Acetylene welding, 1,000 more hours and I’ll be ready for body work… I welded on the transfer case shifter bracket.
The inner fenders could use some rework. The fab shop left them in questionable shape, one has some thinner metal scabbed on, and the welding looks bad(pictures attached). I was able to repair some random cuts, but the rough spots with pin holes are giving me grief. None of this started as rusted through, it was all modified and poorly welded. The inner fenders were in otherwise good shape. I tried filling in pin holes with little success. I tried to cut out a small square, and patch in but that didn’t go so well. I watched some videos and have changed my technique. I’ll get on that next time I have some time.
Attached Images

1955.2 Chevy 6700 Bus/RV
1990 Chevy K1500
Second Series is offline   Reply With Quote